This was the first of the Before Your Time booklets, published in 1997.
The excerpts here are related to the images you can see in the photo archive.
Before the building boom of the 1960s there was very little of Chedgrave beyond the farm on the cross roads (where Chedgrave shops now are), although in 1921 the population was 335.
The main road from the river to the cross-roads was called Chedgrave Street and it was along this road that the commercial life of Chedgrave flourished.
The Jacobean house, with the two bay windows, set back from the road, housed the Garrod family in both 1871 and 1881.
Charles Garrod, born in Haddiscoe, was a grocer but we do not know if he actually traded from his house.
His wife Sarah and at least 6 children lived at home.
The eldest two boys were both employed as grocer's assistants.
This building was, in the early years of the 1900s, used as a bicycle shop variously run by Mr Dawson and Mr & Mrs Brown, perhaps in partnership.
At some time there was a hairdresser here, and it was used for storage by both Mr Clemence and Mr Arbourne, who later had the shop over the road.
The White Horse, on the corner, is the only pub in Chedgrave.
The present building dates from the 1780s, but bearing in mind its position on the main road to Norwich, it may not be the first building on this site.
In both 1871 and 1881, George Turner was the landlord with Eliza his wife, and as most inns did they took in lodgers.
On census day in 1881 they had two blacksmiths staying, but we do not know if they were long term residents working at the smithy or not.
What is now Hawthorne House was originally at least two, possibly three separate cottages and for many years was used, at least in part, as a shop.
In 1889 W.C. 'Tickety' Clemence, as a young man, came from Beccles with his wife to start a bakery business here.
Mr Clemence, whose father was a baker in Beccles, was the master baker and he built his business up and ran several roundsmen's carts around the countryside.
He stored his flour in the house over the road and used a barrow to bring the sacks round to his bakehouse.
Mr Clemence moved his business in 1916 to Beccles Road, Loddon, taking his bakery ovens with him.
The Chedgrave shop was taken on by a Mr Arbourne, who used to work for Mr Clemence.
By 1925 it was run as Arbourne & Son, grocery, drapery, boots and shoes and dealer in flour, pollard and pork butcher rather than a bakery.
Again the house over the road was used to store chicken food and other bulky goods.
Rumour has it that Mr Arbourne spent as much time in The White Horse as in the shop!
One of Mr Arbourne's staff, Arthur Saunders, eventually got fed up with running the shop without him and set up his own in Bridge Stores.