Whose Name is it Anyway?
This booklet has come about as a result of a discussion with a local man
as to whether the Leman, of Leman Grove, should be pronounced to rhyme with
the fruit lemon, or the word demon.
It seemed that several other road names could stand a little investigation and explanation.
Alfric Close, Loddon
Alfric de Modercope is first mentioned in a will of 1043, which he wrote
"before he went across the sea".
He was Lord of the Manor (which one we're not sure) and bequeathed his lands at Loddon and elsewhere to the Abbey of Bury St Edmunds in the times of Edward the Confessor, prior to the Norman Conquest of 1066.
The Parish Council adopted Alfric for Loddon's town sign in 1961 and the bronze statue sculpted by Margaret Kendle at that time still stands on Farthing Green.
Farthing Green and Farthing Close, Loddon
On the Tithe Map, Farthing Close was another of the field names in this
It has been suggested that the whole of the area between what is now Farthing Green up to at least to the corner where High and Low Bungay Roads meet, including the parish 'pit' where Davy Place now is was an open green or common.
What we call Farthing Green now may be the last remaining piece after the landowner enclosed and eventually sold the rest.
Leman Grove, Loddon
In the census records from 1841 through to 1891 we have Lemans occupying
the shop and the buildings on the High Street almost opposite today's fire
William Leman the elder was described as a collar and harness maker, whilst John Leman was the grocer and draper.
The family, obviously quite wealthy eventually owned land right up both sides of the High Bungay road as well as several other parcels throughout the village.
On the Tithe Map, 1838, a John Leman owned some property in The Pits, while he owned and occupied The Grove - the cottage right on the point between High and Low Bungay Road.
In some documents his name is spelt with an 'o' rather than an 'a', making the pronunciation quite definitely like the fruit.
Beauchamp Road/Close, Chedgrave
Beauchamp (pronounced Beecham) became the family name of the owners of Langley
The Hall was begun in the 1730s by Mr Recorder Berney whose family had acquired the huge estates of Langley Abbey when it was dissolved in the mid 1500s.
In 1739 it was bought by George Proctor who passed it on to his nephew William.
William's father's name was Beauchamp and this name was added to Proctor.
In 1852 the family name was settled as Proctor-Beauchamp and the family remained at Langley Hall for almost 100 years.